MScSeminar II 2023 Autumn
Course description: https://ois.ttu.ee/subject/ITX8302
Course timetable: https://ois.ttu.ee/timetable/ITX8302
- September 28. 16:00 - 18:00 in Mektory Innovation hub. Speed dating of supervisors. Environment for topics https://cs.taltech.ee/protsessor
Oct 17Oct 20: Add description of which method you are going to use in your MSc thesis. Submit it to [moodle.taltech.ee] to the appropriate assignment.
- date Oct 30: Review deadline (3 reviews each)
- date Dec 22: Background and related work chapter submission.
- October - December: Defence talk practice.
- Seminar on reviewing.
- Ian Parberry's advice: 
- Bertrand Meyer: Why I sign my reviews: 
- HW: Read Error and Attack Tolerance.
- Additional reading A Survey of Techniques for Internet Topology Discovery.
- Interactive session on problem statement and methodology.
- Seminar on background and related work. 
- Seminar on how to write papers / theses. How to write a great research paper
- Seminar on how to give presentations. A set of slides and video by Simon Peyton Jones. We will take a look at another take on the matter in class.
- October 17 - December: Student presentations according to the schedule at moodle.taltech.ee. NB! You should sign yourself up ASAP for an open slot!
- 10% of 100%: Problem statement and methodology, another 10% of 100% for giving feedback to problem statements submitted by others.
- 50% of 100%: Background and related work submission.
- 30% of 100%: Your mock defence talk and participation in seminars where other students give talks. Note that you will need to submit your current draft of the thesis by the time you give the talk. The draft is not marked, but it will be used for questions after your talk.
The final grade will be calculated as follows from the sum of the above results:
- 90% or more: 5
- 80% or more: 4
- 70% or more: 3
- 60% or more: 2
- 50% or more: 1
- less than 50%: 0
How to write a great research paper (thesis) by Simon Peyton Jones.
Ian Parberry's advice: 
Bertrand Meyer: Why I sign my reviews: 
Seminar on writing thesis in Latex. An example of TTÜ thesis template in Latex is here.
Digital library TalTech